Last Updated October 27, 2021
Collection of Information
We may collect your personal information when you shop in our stores or online, register for a Hy-Vee account, use our website or one of our mobile applications, sign up for our programs, offers, or sweepstakes, take a survey, use our products or other Hy-Vee Services, contact us about a prior purchase, or otherwise communicate with us in any way. The types of personal information you provide varies based on how you choose to interact with us, but may include your name, address, phone number, email address, date of birth, payment card information, purchase and ordering information, demographic information, and any other information you choose to provide.
- Location Information. We may collect your location information when you access the Hy-Vee Services. We may use GPS software, geo-filtering and other location-aware technologies to locate you (sometimes precisely), or make assumptions about your location, for purposes such as verifying your location and delivering or restricting content, including third party ads, based on your location. If you have enabled GPS or use other location-based features on the Hy-Vee Services, your device location may be tracked by us and third parties. Our store finder feature may access and use information about your device location (based on IP address or GPS, as applicable), or your account information, to suggest appropriate store locations. Certain Hy-Vee Services may be personalized based on various information we may have about you to try to provide you with more location-relevant content.
- Usage Information. When you access the various Hy-Vee Services, your computer, phone, or other device may provide information, such as your browser type, IP address, referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamps, and related data. For example, we may use analytics tools that collect information about the use of our websites and user traffic.
- Transactional Information. When you shop in our stores or online or register for an account or use the Hy-Vee Services, we maintain transactional information such as the date of your purchase, the items purchased, the dollar amount or value of the transaction, and their descriptions for our records.
- Device Information. We may also use beacon technology to collect your device information such as your device type, model, identification numbers assigned to your mobile device, mobile network information, and website or app usage behavior.
- Audio and Video Information. We may collect audio or video records for quality control, training, security, and analytic purposes when you call us or visit one of our stores. For instance, we may use video monitoring technology at our stores for fraud, theft prevention, and security. We may be able to associate this information with you.
- Cookies, Web Beacons, and Similar Technologies. We may use automated tools, such as cookies, to collect information about you. Cookies are small data files that are stored on your device by your web browser. They are often used by websites to recognize a returning user's device, record user preferences, track the pages a user clicks while visiting the website, and identify the website a user visited immediately beforehand. Cookies and other automated tools help us recognize you and customize or personalize your shopping experience and may be used to associate your activities and interactions with Hy-Vee (both online and offline) with any personal information you provide in order to analyze the use of Hy-Vee Services to make them more useful to you. These technologies also allow us to combine demographic and statistical data, which may not include personal information. Most web browsers accept cookies by default, but you may be able to adjust your browser settings to remove or reject cookies. Please note that blocking cookies may affect the availability and functionality of certain Hy-Vee Services. For example, if you have opted-out of certain data collection practices, disabling cookies may erase these opt-out settings.
Information We Obtain from Other Sources
We may also combine information that we receive about you from third parties with information you provide to us directly or that we collect automatically through your use of the Hy-Vee Services. We may also collect demographic information about you from a vetted third parties, such as telephone directories and consumer surveys.
We collect protected health information in our capacity as a pharmacy health care provider, which includes your prescription and personal information, prescription history and profile information for fulfillment of pharmacy orders, other health-related information that you, your doctor, or your insurance carrier provides to us, and through our provision of dietitian services. This information is most often used to process your prescriptions, provide you with health care information, dietitian services, Hy-Vee pharmacy services, or to contact you with questions and respond to your inquiries pertaining to Hy-Vee pharmacy or dietitian services. The information collected or maintained by our pharmacies is subject to our Notice of Privacy Practices that more specifically describes how we may use or disclose your protected health information. You may access our Notice of Privacy Practices here. A copy may also be obtained from any of our pharmacies us (see the "How to Contact Us" section below).
Information Pertaining to Children
How We May Use Your Personal Information
We or our service providers on our behalf may use your personal information for a variety of business purposes including:
- Providing customer service, including responding to your requests or inquiries.
- Processing and completing your transactions including, order confirmation, billing, enrollment in our loyalty or other programs, and delivering products or other Hy-Vee Services.
- Personalizing your experience with us, e.g., content and offers that are tailored to you, including special offers from other companies.
- Providing you with newsletters, articles, product or service alerts, new product or service announcements, event invitations, and other information.
- To send periodic emails. The email address(es) you provide may be used to send information and updates pertaining to your account, in addition to receiving occasional company news, updates, information related to our product or service offerings, etc.
- Including you in market research, surveys, promotions, sweepstakes, and contests.
- Improving the Hy-Vee Services.
- Evaluating your shopping experience or existing products and Hy-Vee Services or to create new items.
- Alerting you about a product safety announcement or recall or correction of an offer, promotion, or advertisement.
- Keeping a record of our interactions with you if you place an order or interact with us over the telephone or online.
- Verifying and validating your identity, preventing, investigating, or providing notice of fraud, or to meet other legal obligations.
- Processing and evaluating the materials you submit as a job applicant.
- Interacting with you when you contact us as a vendor or on behalf of another business.
- Creating aggregated, pseudonymized, or anonymized information for analytical and statistical purposes.
- For any other purpose, with your consent.
Data Analytics and Advertising
For more information on how Google Analytics uses data collected through the Service, visit: www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. To opt out of Google Analytics cookies, visit: http://www.google.com/settings/ads and https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
Please note that we do not control how third parties manage their opt-out processes. Please see Your Choices below for further details. Your web browser may have settings that allow you to transmit a "Do Not Track" signal when you visit various websites or use online services. Like many websites, the Hy-Vee websites are not designed to respond to "Do Not Track" signals received from website browsers. To learn more about "Do Not Track" signals, visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com/
We may contract with advertising service providers to collect information about your online use and interactions with Hy-Vee Services over time and across other websites. These companies use the information they collect to serve ads to your device(s) on other websites and online Hy-Vee Services that are targeted to your interests.
We may also work with third-party platforms, directly or through our service providers, to serve ads to you as part of a customized campaign on these platforms. As part of these ad campaigns, information about you, such as your email address and phone number, is converted into a unique value that can be matched with a user account on these platforms to allow us to learn about your interests and to serve you advertising that is customized to your interests. Note that the third-party platforms may offer you choices about whether you see these types of customized ads.
Information Sharing and Purposes
We may disclose your personal information for certain business purposes as described below:
- Service Providers. We may disclose your personal information to our service providers to help handle parts of our business because of their expertise, resources, or scale. They help us do things like improve our services, fulfill orders, process your payments and requests, verify your information, monitor activity on our Hy-Vee Services, conduct fraud prevention, provide analysis and analytics, maintain databases, administer and monitor emails and marketing, serve ads on Hy-Vee Services, and otherwise perform actions consistent with the uses described above. We may also use them to host our sites, microsites, mobile sites, and mobile applications, conduct market research, or send you information regarding our products or Hy-Vee Services or those of other companies with whom we conduct business. Some information that you submit may be transmitted and shared with service providers in countries other than the United States.
- Third Party Partners. We may engage with various third-party partners to provide additional Hy-Vee Services.
- Legal Process and Emergency Response. We may also disclose specific information about visitors to the Hy-Vee Services if we have a good-faith belief that it is necessary or authorized under the law or to protect our customers, the public, or our business.
- Certain Business Transfers. Your personal information may be disclosed as part of a corporate business transaction, such as a merger, acquisition, or joint venture, or for the financing or sale of Hy-Vee assets and could be transferred to another party as one of the business assets in such a transaction. It may also be disclosed in the event of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership.
Hy-Vee Text Messaging Services
When you sign up for one of our text messaging programs, you are expressly consenting to receive text messages on your mobile phone or other mobile device about our products, Hy-Vee Services, and/or programs that may be sent by automated means. Text messages will only be sent to the mobile phone number used to opt-in to the applicable text messaging program. Some programs may send you up to the specified number of messages per month, dependent on the program, and each program in which you enroll will increase the total number of messages you receive each month. Please refer to our Text Messaging Program Terms for more information. You may opt out of a text message program by following the instructions you receive (e.g., texting the word STOP). Different instructions may apply to health care text messages related to Hy-Vee Pharmacy services.
Hy-Vee Loyalty Programs
Participation in one or more of our loyalty programs is open, where offered, to everyone over the age of majority who signs up or otherwise chooses to participate. These Loyalty Programs are governed by specific terms. Please review the Loyalty Program Terms and Conditions, which govern your participation in Hy-Vee Loyalty Programs. Additionally, Loyalty Program members may receive special offers that include additional terms and conditions and/or privacy policies that should be reviewed carefully before acceptance.
Certain areas of select Hy-Vee Services may be branded in association with third parties ("Co-Branded Areas"), and such third parties may request or require you to disclose Personal Information to them. If you elect to register for products and/or services, communicate with such third parties or download their content or applications, at Co-Branded Areas, you may be providing your information to both us and the third party. We are not responsible for such third party's data collection or practices and you should look to such third-party privacy policies for more information.
We give you choices about the information we collect and how we communicate with you.
- Printed Materials. To opt out of receiving our printed marketing materials at your postal address, such as advertisements, flyers or postcards, contact our Customer Support Center by clicking here. Please be sure to include your name and mailing address exactly as they appear on the printed marketing materials you received.
- Emails. To opt out of receiving our marketing materials via email, please click on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email that was sent to you and follow the directions on the resulting web page.
- Voice or Text Messages. To opt out of receiving calls from our live representatives by telephone, contact our Customer Support Center by clicking here. If you have consented to receive prerecorded voice messages or text messages, you may opt out of receiving them by using the method provided in the prerecorded voice message or text message or by contacting us at the address below.
- Google Analytics. You may opt out of the aggregation and analysis of data collected about you on our website by Google Analytics by visiting here and downloading and installing the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
- Hy-Vee Mobile App Push Notifications. With your consent, we may send push notifications to your mobile device. You can deactivate these at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device (see below for further details).
- Location Information. You may have the ability to turn location-based Hy-Vee Services on and off by adjusting the settings of your internet browser or mobile device or, for some devices, by revoking permission for a Hy-Vee Mobile App to access your location information.
- Custom Audience Campaigns. As noted above, we sometimes work with third-party platforms to serve ads to you as part of a customized campaign on those platforms. You may be able to opt-out of receiving these ads by adjusting your preferences within these third-party platforms.
Analytics and Interest-Based Advertising
Certain companies may participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance ("DAA") AdChoices Program and may display an Advertising Option Icon for Interest-based Ads that links to an opt-out tool which allows you to make certain choices regarding targeting. You can learn more about the DAA web AdChoices Program here and its opt-out program for mobile apps here. In addition, certain advertising networks and exchanges may participate in the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI"). NAI has developed a tool that allows consumers to opt out of certain Interest-based Ads delivered by NAI members' ad networks. To learn more about opting out of such targeted advertising or to use the NAI tool, visit here. Please be aware that, even if you are able to opt out of certain kinds of Interest-based Ads, you will continue to receive non-targeted ads.
Please note that opting out of one or more NAI or DAA members only means that those selected members should no longer deliver certain targeted ads to you, as per the DAA / NAI rules. This does not mean you will no longer receive any targeted content and/or ads from other ad networks. Also, if your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you visit this opt-out page, or if you erase your cookies, use a different device or web browser(s), or use a non-browser-based method of access (e.g., mobile app), your NAI / DAA browser-based opt-out may not, or may no longer, be effective. Hy-Vee is not responsible for the effectiveness of, or compliance with, any third-parties' opt-out options or programs or the accuracy of their statements regarding their programs.
Hy-Vee Mobile Apps
With respect to Hy-Vee's Mobile Apps, you can stop all collection of information via a Hy-Vee Mobile App by uninstalling the App. Also, you may be able to exercise specific privacy choices, such as enabling or disabling certain features (e.g., location-based services, push notifications, accessing calendar/contacts/photos, etc.), by adjusting the permissions in your mobile device and/or the app's settings. Beware that if GPS precise location services are disabled, other means of establishing or estimating location (e.g., connecting to or proximity to wi-fi, Bluetooth, beacons, or our networks) may persist. To learn more about how you can control location permissions using your mobile device's operating system settings, please visit the following links depending on which device you use:
For Android 6.0 and above: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/6270602?hl=en
For earlier versions of Android: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/6014972
There are a variety of tracking technologies that may be included in mobile applications. These are not browser-based like cookies and cannot be controlled by browser settings. Some use device identifiers, or other identifiers such as "Ad IDs", to associate app user activity to a particular app and track user activity across apps and/or devices. Some mobile app-related tracking technologies can only be disabled by uninstalling the app. To uninstall an app, follow the instructions from your operating system or device. Apple and Google mobile devices have settings that may allow you to limit certain types of tracking.
The Hy-Vee Services may also include functionality that allows certain kinds of interactions between the Hy-Vee Services and a third-party website, platform, tool, application or other service. For example, when you register for certain Hy-Vee Services, you may have an option to use your Facebook, Google or other account provided by a third-party site or application to facilitate the registration and log-in process, or otherwise link accounts. If you choose to use these third-party services to access or use the Hy-Vee Services, we may receive information from these third parties.
We take reasonable measures to protect your personal information from loss, theft, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Nevertheless, transmission via the Internet and online digital storage are not completely secure and we cannot guarantee the security of your information collected through the Service.
Notice to International Visitors
We are based in the United States. When we obtain information about you, we may transfer, process, and store such information in the United States and other countries. By using the Hy-Vee Services, you consent to the transfer to, and to the processing and storage of your information in, countries outside of your country of residence, which may have different data protection laws than those in the country in which you reside.
We will keep your personal information for as long as your account is active so that you can access and amend your information as necessary, and to provide you access to our services. We may continue to retain your personal information after you deactivate your account, as reasonably necessary to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes regarding user preferences, enforce our agreements, or protect our legitimate interests.
Mailing Address: Hy-Vee, Inc., 5820 Westown Parkway, West Des Moines, Iowa 50266-8223
Email Address: [email protected]
Toll-free Number: (800) 772-4098